2.20.2011

The Camión

Often at the end of a trek we take public Bolivian transport from our rural terminus back to Sucre. This mode of transport is known simply as "el camiòn" (literally, "the truck"). And that´s what it is. A truck. A high-sided flatbed truck that is filled to the brim with Bolivian villagers and their market-wares and tired hikers, standing room only. It grumbles bumbily over terrifying mountain roads, and when the rains come town the driver covers its occupents with a tarp. To call the camión uncomforable would be a gross understatement. The last time I rode it there was a poor little girl jammed into my smelly hiking armpit, a boy vomiting into his hat at my feet, and old lady pinching the back of my leg because I was squashing her bag of wheat. Note how I smile forcibly as the truck fills up (photo credit to Lim, a delightful French tourist with whom I hiked):

Strangely enough, however, I find something about the camión thrilling, maybe even endearing... Perhaps I haven´t ridden it enough, but I find it amusing to watch young campesinos exchange flirtatious looks and cell-phone numbers, and I marvel at the way the Bolivian mothers juggle numerous children and blankets full of peaches. And, with the right mental fortitude, I can find true contentment as I roll through jaw-dropping mountainscapes with the sun on my back (again, thanks Lim).

1 comment:

  1. Reminds me of riding in a weapons carrier over bumpy mountain roads in Japan back in 1947 with the Girl Scouts when we went from camp to the Fujia Hotel to swim. 25 miles each way on solid wood---no springs. We sang songs to keep from minding the discomfort. It's good to have friends to share such experiences.

    Grandma Peggy

    ReplyDelete