3.11.2011

Words, Rocks, and Beads

 OK, ok, ok...  After having spent the last month volunteering in Sucre for Condortrekkers, a non-profit trekking company, I am FULL--full of airy poems unwritten, full of rocks and their impossible timeless feats, full of questions and love for the colorful landscape of Bolivia.

I´ve filled my days in Sucre reading in cafès with serial cups of coffee (current selection: The Passion of the Western Mind, a 500 page interview of Western intellectual history... learned that Socrates and Plato were absolute ballers; been a bit bogged down in the Middle Ages lately), wandering around the white-washed streets of Sucre eating humitas and being lost, leading 1-3 day treks through the Andes, cooking, taking Spanish lessons, washing dishes, and staying up late into the night discussing Things That Matter over glasses of delicious affordable vino tinto. A couple of weeks ago I realized with some surprise that I´ve walked into a world that I love. That realization is at once fabulous and heart-wrenching, especially given that the end of this year of wandering has become concrete, what with the flight I just booked from Lima to Chicago in mid-May (eep).

In order to encapsulate some of my life in blog form I want to briefly address three points: (1) Carnival, (2) the mountains, and (3) beads. Ahem...

(1) Carnival may sound fun to many people, and in many places it may a wonderful inverted party, but I did not find carnival to be fun. For weeks surrounding carnival young people paraded through the streets of Sucre with water balloons and large brass instruments, assaulting passers-by with liquid explosions and deafening renditions of La Macarena. It usually takes a lot to make me angry, but by the time Carnival was in full swing I was dangerous. I may or may not have wrested a water pistol from the hands of a seven year old boy and used his own weapon to squirt him in the face. I also may or may not have ripped off a conniving teenager`s hat, thrown it on the ground, and stomped on it in sheer rage.

(2) There is a passage from East of Eden in which Steinbeck describes moments of glory: "You can feel them growing or preparing like a fuse burning toward dynamite... Its beginning has the pleasure of a great stretching yawn; it flashes in the brain and the whole world glows outside your eyes..." The mountains where I´ve been trekking have (re)taught me exactly what this glory means. The cliffs are bent and colored in impossible illegible patterns, the sky yawns like a perfect question, and occasional thunderstorms batter me into something real. I happily scatter pieces of myself over the Andes as I walk the ancient Incan trails, even though I know I´ll never get the pieces back.

(3) A few days ago I made a waist-bracelet with my friend Kendra, who is from Ohio. We bought beads from the bead-man in the Mercado Central (a character who is brilliant when juxtaposed against the potato-ladies). As we were beading all of those golden and blue and sometimes bright-white beads we bought from the bead man, I couldn´t help but recall those rainbow rocks that litter the mountains I´ve been walking... in one of my favorite poems Gary Snyder writes, "Lay down these words like rocks." Words and rocks and beads--how do you string them together? I found a sacred agency in beading. Something about freedom.

Yeah, so that´s life, imperfectly rendered in bullet-points. Right now I´m in the beautiful rust-red city of La Paz, eating falafel and preparing to rendezvouz with Nathaniel´s mother and brother for a week and a half of adventuring accross Bolivia (yes, Nathaniel and I have been reuinited and it´s wonderful to be experiencing again with my Partner in Travel and Confusion).

And thus it all unfolds in some sort of inside-out oragami that I could never hope to understand. I ponder Thomos Aquinas. Nathaniel and I wonder if God doodles in different dimensions. The mountains keep their secrets. Tomorrow? Nos veremos.

2 comments:

  1. Glad you are loving your life there. I love rocks, too. I am gradually rearranging the rocks of the world. I sent granite to the heights of Mt. Fuji via a friend; I deposited Fuji rocks in the sparkling granite of central Washington. And there are sea shells in my driveway and garden.
    Grandma Peggy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Back at Syracuse in 1954 we had a professor named Abraham Vinus. Some wag wrote this limerick about him on the blackboard one day:

    There was once a professor named Vinus
    Whose library contained none but the finest.
    He had works of Tasso
    Orlando De Lasso,
    Donald Duck and Saint Thomas Aquinas

    Grandma Peggy

    ReplyDelete