10.15.2009

Things I have learned in the past 24 hours:

1) When we circumambulate, my feet can feel the sunset that seeped into the marble on the Western side of the Japanese temple.
2) I like ice cream dipped in chai.
3) Dipwali--the "festival of lights"--is celebrated early with lots of explosions all the time.
4) Tickling is universal (no wonder it's in the Pali texts...)
5) Writing a ten page paper by hand will take a lot longer than you think it will.
6) It's nice to have solidarity in the library when half of your anthropology class learns that writing a ten page paper by hand will take a lot longer than you think it will.
7) The resident ghost gets feisty around 2:30 a.m.
8) The kitchen staff starts cooking breakfast for the monks around 3:45 a.m.
9) The rooster starts crowing at about 4:10 a.m.
10) It's really weird to still be in the library at 5:00 a.m. when Meg walks by everyone's room ringing the wake-up bell.
11) If I go to morning Zen meditation with absolutely no sleep, I am able to dream with my eyes open and therefore become convinced that I am sitting in a roomful of multicolored frogs on lily pads.

I still love it here! But it's time for a nap! And then a 24 hour Zen meditation retreat wherein I will never not be meditating, eating, or sleeping!

p.s. A fellow Carleton student that is on this program in keeping a wonderful blog. It has a ton of pictures, and a completely different perspective on what it's like to be here: http://cvoyant.posterous.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment