11.01.2009

Halloween, etc.

I was a sugar-glider. We ate a catered meal in the basement of a hotel, and then DANCED with abandon and (gasp!) bear calves. Every costume was spectacular--they included, but were not limited to, a brigade of bicycle rickshaw drivers, Mario and Luigi, Batman and Robin, the trash on the streets of Bodh Gaya, a panda, conventional reality, a chai walla, two bodhi trees, Death, and a unicorn. Fantastic.

Also, I have not yet mentioned this, but this program entails an independent study project. This means that, in a mere two weeks, I will be flying to the bright isle of Sri Lanka to interview Buddhists about love. Specifically I want to know how a) loving relationships are reconciled with impermanence and non-attachment and b) how Sri Lankans conceive of romantic love. The details are still in the works... but it should involve the ocean and awkward conversations, which are really my element.

OK, now I really have to go work on my senior thesis (which is, incidentally, about the ineffable).


No comments:

Post a Comment