10.08.2010

Tusks and Other Muses

"I came here to count the bells
that live upon the surface of the sea,
that sound over the sea,
within the sea.

So, here I live."

--Pablo Neruda

We are now in Valparaiso, a beautifully graffitied  port town built on impossible hills. During the past two days we have visited two of Pablo Neruda's three Chilean abodes. Neruda is one of my favorite poets, and it was like a fairytale to explore his eclectic decor and strange collections that included, but were not limited to, carousel horses, figureheads, and snail shells. He also had a fondness for colored glass and bells and green ink, but most of all he loved the ocean. Both of the houses we saw had panoramic vistas of the Pacific in all of its bone-chilling deep-blue grandeur. It was not hard at all to imagine a poet inspired.

But maybe his secret was the narwhal tusk. Neruda kept a 2.25 meter tooth of a narwhal whale, along with a historical painting of the fanciful beast. Strange man. He wrote beautiful things.

And now we're going even more austral. I spent a semester as an exchange student in Chile when I was seventeen, and we're going South to go visit my host family in their small small village of Lumaco. I'm kind of nervous to reunite with a universe that I left behind five years ago, but it should be interesting.

(I also wanted to mention that co-conqueror and travel friend Nathaniel is also keeping a blog. For a completely different perspective on our ramblings, visit nathanielgoessouth.blogspot.com.)



2 comments:

  1. Sophie, Libbie, Blake and I also went to one of Neruda's houses in Valparaiso--La Sebastiana. Our consensus for favorite thing about the house was that Neruda had a portrait of some queen wearing a ruff up on one of his walls, and he decided that she might be lonely, so he found a picture of an unknown man, also with a ruff, to put up on the opposite wall of the room so they could stare at each other for eternity. I hope you saw that part too.

    Eugene's still beautiful. The rain comes tomorrow, they're saying. Good luck in Lumaco.

    - Chris

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make me want to read some poetry or paint a picture or read one of Isabel Allende's books.

    ReplyDelete