4.01.2011

Back in Sucre

Life in Sucre continues. I recently got back from a trek with 10 French clients... One of them had a birthday during the trek, and I managed to break one of the two celebratory bottles of wine all over my sleeping bag. Henrry (the Bolivian guide) and I had to consume countless gourd-fulls of chicha (fermented corn beverage) that were given to us by a subsistence farmer because the clients didn't like it and we didn't want to offend anyone. I marveled and this one particular rock that crumbles like snow, and I think I began to better understand donkeys. I got up before five every day to prepare breakfast. I noticed the moon.

There has always been a fascinating parade of characters in the apartment where I´ve been living, but now, for various reasons, everyone has dissappeared. This means that I have been prancing about the large empty space listening to loud music and lighting candles at random. Yesterday I washed trekking dishes for hours straight--I think I may have been enlightened there for a second when I was scrubbing the stove with hot sudsy water.

I have also been reading a ridiculous amount of poetry, and thinking with some apprehension about the... (gah) future. I even got so far as filling out most of a fellowship application, but then I accidentally deleted it. Today I made a rough list of experiences that might comprise a resumé of mine and I laughed at myself a bit. The sunlight is reflecting of the white-washed walls of Sucre, and my solitude is poignant and optimistic. All is well.

1 comment: