3.20.2009

Roots

I may have said this before, but I'll say it again: I like how it smells here. When I left Minnesota it still smelled mostly like ice, but Oregon is a wealth of olfactory enchantment. Colors become smells, and this scent of life flows up your nostrils until the whole world takes on a heady, effervescent mystique.

It's weird how two and a half years in Minnesota have changed my perception of this place. It's as though life in the Midwest has allowed me to see parallax, and this new perspective bumps my experience of home up from two dimensions into three.

I think that's why I love traveling--the beauty lies in the contrast, the movement, and the shimmering lines between opposites. Only by stationing myself in between places, with different reference points, can I truly appreciate the full magnitude of either.

Right now, however--in this moment--things are still. It is the vernal equinox, I am home, and I am smiling.

No comments:

Post a Comment