9.10.2009

Speed Thrills But Kills*

This morning I watched the sun rise over the Bodhi tree and the Mahabodhi temple. If you've ever seen a picture of the Mahabodhi temple, let me tell you that, in real life, it's actually seventeen times larger. The Bodhi tree itself (which is said to be genetically identical to the one under which the Buddha was enlightened, and planted in the same spot) reaches its multifarious arms outward rather than upward, and leans on lovingly made red crutches. As I watched the sunlight drown out the waning moon and stain Bodhi leaves golden, I heard the chanting of monks and the shuffle of pilgrim feet.

The train--with its glorious preponderance of chai and soothing rock--took me here, to Bodh Gaya, where I will live in a Burmese Vihar and adhere to precepts of monastic life. I am slowly orienting myself to a lifestyle and a place that is dramatically different from anything I've ever experienced before. There is so much more to write, but I'm late for lunch. Stay tuned.

*The phrase "Speed Thrills But Kills" was posted alongside the highway that runs from Gaya to Bodh Gaya. I noticed it with interest as the driver of my Jeep accelerated to Mach 2 on the wrong side of the road, weaving between cyclists, cows, and other obstacles.

No comments:

Post a Comment